Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:19:28 +0100
From:      David Dooley <dpd@raffles-it.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using symbolic links in directories for /usr/src and /usr/obj

Hi,

I am using Freebsd 4.7

Anybody know if there is a way to have the build system use relative paths
that include symbolic links rather than absolute path.

The question has come about, because, I would like to be able to auto mount
my /usr/build file system from my dev box, where everything is compiled, to
the target systems for installation. But using auto mounter the paths are
changed and it would appear the build system uses the absolute paths rather
than the symbolic paths.

I am currently doing static mounts through /etc/fstab of a file system
/usr/build. The /usr/src and /usr/obj directories are symbolically linked
into /usr/build, but as I export /usr/build from my 'dev' box and it is
mounted as /usr/build on the remote systems and the same symbolic links
exist on the remote system all is well as the paths on all the boxes remain
the same. As soon as I try and use the auto mounter to mount the /usr/build
file system the paths on the remote box are now different and the install
fails complaining about not being able to find things as the paths to things
have changed.

Any help would be most appreciated.

David.