Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:54:07 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Essenz Consulting <john@essenz.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel 840 Chipset Discontinue

> I was told by several of my distributors that all motherboards based off
> of the Intel 840 chipset are being discontinued. That means the Supermicro
> PIIDM3 and PIIIDME, and any other 840 board.

I have mixed feelings about this, but on the whole I think it's probably
for the best.  I've had really patchy results with the i840, and
performance hasn't been impressive.

> Supermicro has two new boards, 370DL3 and 370DLE. Identical in specs to
> the 840 boards, but using some kind of "ServerWork LE" chipset. However, I
> have also been hearing bad news about these boards as well.

We've had some issues with the RCC chipsets in Dell systems, yes.

> Has anyone worked with these boards? Supermicro SAYS that they work fine
> under Linux and Solaris. However, one of my distributors says thay they
> are extremely touchy when it comes to memory. Only Registered PC133 ECC
> memory will work.
>
> If someone at freebsd.org wants to seriously test these boards, let me
> know, and I'll donate one. Without the 840 boards, server configs are now
> back to the 440GX days!

FreeBSD Test Labs would very much appreciate the opportunity to beat one
of these boards up in the name of science.  If you don't have a better
taker, you can send us one at:

 FreeBSD Test Labs
 BSDi Open Source Solutions
 4041 Pike Lane #F