Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2018 12:07:42 +0200
From:      "Ronald Klop" <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, "Trevor Roydhouse" <trev@sentry.org>
Subject:   Re: RPi2B and FreeBSD 11-STABLE boot failure

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 07:41:22 +0200, Trevor Roydhouse <trev@sentry.org>
wrote:

> I installed:
>
> FreeBSD rpi2.sentry.org 11.2-STABLE FreeBSD 11.2-STABLE #0 r336133: Mon
> Jul  9 20:12:49 UTC 2018
> root@releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/src/sys/RPI2  arm
>
> and my RPi2B could no longer boot when the two USB memory keys were also
> plugged in.
>
> The sdcard kept being assigned as disk2, with the USB memory keys taking
> up disk0 and disk1, and then the system would unsuccessfully try booting
>   from disk0 and finding no kernel file as that happened to be the /usr
> file system.
>
> After much google-fu, the workaround I found was to halt the boot at the
> uboot loader prompt (you have two seconds) and then:
>
> setenv loaderdev disk2
> saveenv
> boot
>
> The above creates a persistent uboot.env file, so no manual intervention
> is needed again (unless the number of USB memory keys changes).
>
> It used to work previously without this workaround <shrug>.

On my RPI3B+ I disabled the 'usb start' commmand from the u-boot loader.
setenv bootcmd run bootcmd_mmc1
saveenv

Probably has the same net effect.

I remember reading that the u-boot port gained support for booting from
USB devices a while ago. I think that holds up the boot if the USB device
does not have a bootable partition.

NB: I did not do the u-boot port, so I might be totally wrong here.

Ronald.