Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 1996 02:16:15 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        kmitch@unix.guru.org, nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weirdness in current

>> > Ok.  Here's an update.  I just did a make world from a 10-16 current.
>> > The dynamic linking now appears to work correctly using the math library
>> > by default.
>>
>> Are you saying the math library is brought in even if you don't
>> explicitly ask for it?
>
>Yes.  It did that in 2.10R, 2.15R, -stable, and now again in -current.  I
>have no idea why though.  The program doesn't use any of the functions in
>the math library directly.  And, without the math library the program

Then it must use it indirectly :-).  libstdc++ references a lot of math
functions.  This is handled by always linking libm for normal invocations
of c++ (look at the c++ -v output).

libg++ used to be linked to some other libraries, but isn't any more.
This seems to be a bug.  re_match_2 is undefined in libg++.a.  It is
defined in libgnuregex, which doesn't seem to be linked automatically.

>Well, what I think is happening is that the static linking is not bringing
>in the math library like the dynamic one now does (see above).  An ldd shows

c++ -v -static shows libm being brought in in much the same way as for
non-static linking.  It should work.

Bruce