Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:06:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@galileo.edu>, Anthony Schneider <aschneid@mail.slc.edu>, Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1019955884.8b118e@mired.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Security through obscurity? (was: ssh + compiled-in SKEY support considered harmful?)

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Monday, 22 April 2002 at 19:53:06 -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> >> That fix relies on the extensive PAM updates in -CURRENT however; in
> >> -STABLE it can probably be similarly replicated via appropriate tweaking
> >> of sshd (?).
> >
> > Why not fix it in stable by the very simple tweaking of the
> > ChallengeResponseAuthentication to no in the sshd config file we ship
> > Trust me, this question is going to come up a _lot_ for us otherwise. :(
>
> I've been noticing a continuing trend for more and more "safe"
> configurations the default.  I spent half a day recently trying to find
> why I could no longer open windows on my X display, only to discover
> that somebody had turned off tcp connections by default.

BTW, I think this is somewhat of a red herring, and isn't really related
to this discussion at all.  The issue with S/Key is something that we've
already built concensus on: it's a bug for most users, and should be fixed
(or at least made optional), which as I indicated, is *already* the
strategy taken in -CURRENT.