Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 1997 16:11:20 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@korin.warman.org.pl>
To:        jbryant@tfs.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: ANNOUNCE: The 1.44 Mbyte Web Challenge (comp.windows.x.apps)

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Jim Bryant wrote:

> I don't know much about Poland, but I'm the only one I know that even
> owns a 2.88M floppy drive, and i live in the USA, plus have you ever
> seen the prices on the blanks?
>
> how about this, a single boot floppy, loads in everything into a MFS,
> then unmounts, and mounts a second application floppy.  both floppies
> being 1.44M.  still won't do X, but might be able to do some neet
> things...

Ahh, well, I meant exactly this, perhaps I made myself unclear. Forget
the 2,88 floppies - they are very much like dinosaurs or kiwi birds - I've
never seen one :-)

As for the X, I suspect it could be possible to squeeze a VGA server with
basic libs on one diskette. I didn't try to do this though :-) OTOH, the
gzipped VGA server takes ca. 670 kB (still some place left to fill up the
diskette), and some more knowledgable person could cut off unneeded chunks
of it.

Sincerely yours,

---
Andrzej Bialecki                  FreeBSD: Turning PCs Into Workstations
<abial@warman.org.pl>             http://www.freebsd.org
Research and Academic Network in Poland