Date:      Mon, 09 Dec 2002 12:54:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Kostouros <kpeter@melbpc.org.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: nVidia drivers revisited

On 08-Dec-2002 Peter Kostouros wrote:
> Hi
>
> My system was dumping core when I tried to invoke X with the recently
> released nVidia drivers installed (similar to Kris's problem?). Upon
> creating a kernel without INVARIANTS and INVARIANT_SUPPORT options, X
> runs well. My question is, of the X/nVidia success stories, were kernels
> built with or without INVARIANTS and INVARIANT_SUPPORT options?
>
> For those interested, the panics I received were:
>
> mutex vm page queue mutex not owned at .../usr/src/sys/vm/vm_page.c:1215.
>
> The source was from about 23/11.

This just means the nvidia driver is buggy and could result in corrupted
data and kernel crashes eventually.  However, the driver is only "buggy"
on 5.0 because 5.0 has different locking requirements than 4.x and the
driver was written for 4.x.  Thus, it's not nvidia's fault per se, but
the driver does need updating before it will be safe on 5.x.