Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 21:19:42 +0900
From:      Yoriaki FUJIMORI <fujimori@prinz.fujimori.cache.waseda.ac.jp>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfsd/ypserv die on smp

There is no log message about this.
I tested several environmental changes such as
nfs_reserveved_port_only="YES" or "NO"
etc in rc.conf.  But, the situation does not change at all.

After rebooting this server running nfsd, I noticed a case in which
this happens.

Suppose S is an nfs server and C1, C2, .., Cn are nfs clients.
Assume nfsd servers are invoked on S on Nov 22, while nfsiod on
C1, .., Cn are invoked earlier, say on Nov 21.  Then, nfsd server
dies.  This can easily reproduced by invoking on C1, say,
find /hogehoge -name brahbrah -print
where /hogehoge is nfs mount from S.
From `lastcomm nfsd' on S, I know that nfsd dies with the invoke date
Nov 21 xx:yy, at this date nfsiod is invoked on C1.

So, nfsd dies when it is combined with clients' nfsiod which is older
than nfsd itself.
I do not know yet, if this is a default from the security reason.

However, as I said previously, this happens only on smp systems.
(No problem at all on uni processor systems here.)

Yoriaki Fujimori