Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 02:33:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        "Justin L. Boss" <jlboss@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: backup to /dev/ast0 get Input/output error

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, JustinL. Boss wrote:
> This is probably something simple but I can't figure it out. The tape seams to be working when using mt but when I use tar I get:
> mt -f /dev/ast0 status ..

I am not very familiar with the "mt" command but have a feeling about what
"seams" [sic] to be the problem :)

> Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
> Current:  0x01:X3.22-1983      512 bytes      800      none
> ---------available modes---------
> 0:        default              variable       0        none
> 1:        default              variable       0        none
> 2:        default              variable       0        none
> 3:        default              variable       0        none
> ---------------------------------
> File Number: 0	Record Number: 0	Residual Count 0
>
> tar -zpcf /dev/ast0 /home

From what I learned recently about the "tar" command, the file name you are
writing out to (using the 'c' flag) is required right after this flag.

Maybe try the command without the -c and instead use "-r" or "--append?"

> tar: Removing leading / from absolute path names in the archive.

I think if you use the "-z" flag, then somewhere in your command line you
are required to specify a filename, for example "slash_home.tgz"

> tar (child): can't write to /dev/ast0 : Input/output error
> Thanks for your help.

Well, the "mt -f" seemed to give you the go-ahead with this device.  Are
there any oddities reported by `dmesg -a` by the way?  Hopefully the list
can explain to us who "tar" had a "[love]child" with.  *grin*

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder