Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 22:23:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "K. Greenwood" <k_greenwood1@yahoo.com>
To:        Ronald Schwartz <rschwartznj@hotmail.com>, QUESTIONS@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read error from hard drive

Since no one else has responded, I may as well offer a
few suggestions.  But take them with a grain of salt.
I ain't no *nix guru.

First off... when do these errors occur?  Does the
install go successfully?  Are these errors on boot up
or while running the install?

If during the install... is it possible that between
the hard drive, the bios, and the Fdisk partition
editor geometries are off?  Perhaps also recheck the
cabling, jumpers, ensure the drive is error free, etc.

If afterward (during boot), did you install FreeBSD's
boot manager or the standard MBR?  Are there any other
partitions?  I know I have had situations where the
boot record was after the 1024th cylinder and,
naturally, it couldn't boot.

Hope this was of some help.  Good luck.