Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:39:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "DINKEY,GENE (HP-Loveland,ex1)" <gene_dinkey@hp.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel & Userland in sync (Was: too much confusion over kernel building)

DINKEY,GENE (HP-Loveland,ex1) <gene_dinkey@hp.com> types:
> Although I do remember a discussion I had earlier last year about keeping
> userland and kernel source stuff in sync with the release.  I think the gist
> of what I got was that it may not be a good idea to update kernel sources
> without updating userland sources as well.

Since no one else confirmed this, I will. Yes, having userland and the
kernel out of sync is doesn't always work, and hence not supported, a
bad idea and something you shouldn't do.(*)

Things in userland depend on things in the kernel, and if the two get
out of sync, you can get problems. It doesn't even have to be userland
source. I was getting screwy console behavior because the console
device in the kernel was out of sync with the userland termcap entry
for the console.

	<mike

*) As with so many things, this is a "If you know what you're doing,
it can be safe, but you're on your won."