Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 20:33:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kevin <kwebb@blvl.igs.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: obtaining a copy of FreeBSD

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Kevin wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am interested in obtaining a copy of FreeBSD, but I have had
> trouble finding the exact ftp directory.  I tried to download it from
> the site ftp://FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD, but I didn't know which

Well, we need a leading "ftp." on that machine address:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/....

freebsd.org is another machine; ftp.freebsd.org is the main distribution
site (with all the other stuff Walnut Creek puts out).

> If you can tell me where to more easily obtain FreeBSD or attach the
> files I require,  I would appreciate it very much.  I would like to
> learn UNIX, and since I understand that this is one of the clones,
> this would help me immensely.

If you have a supported CDROM, that is the preferred method.  You can
order from Walnut Creek CDROM, http://www.cdrom.com/.