Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 15:58:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Farrell <spfarrel@midway.uchicago.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   nfs install - space and packages required?

i find it disturbing that after 15 minutes of looking at your web site
and ftp site, and going through the installation readmes, i can't find
the answer to the most basic question i have: WHICH PACKAGES DO I NEED
TO RETRIEVE TO PREPARE FOR AN NFS INSTALLATION, AND HOW MUCH SPACE DO
THEY REQUIRE?  i'd expect this to be a routine question.  with
slackware/linux, this is the first thing you see, and can prepare
accordingly.  i've found discussion of how to repartition your DOS
harddisk on the fly, yet it is not mentioned how much space is
required.  this seems very backwards to me.

obviously i looked at the bin directory, and noticed several dozen files
with useless names.  why do you do this?  what's wrong with bin usr.bin
usr.local.bin and such like netbsd?  or what's wrong with having it
upfront which disk-sets are needed (a n ,etc like for slackware)? is
this a marketing scam to get people to buy your CDROM's?

sorry - i was just planning on putting freebsd on a revived 486 box, and
would like to prepare by downloading the required dirs onto my sparc, and
couldn't believe how frustrating it was to find out how much space i'd
need, and what to get.

anyway, i'm repeating myself...

--
Stephen Farrell				The Ben May Institute
The University of Chicago		Image Analysis & Web Admin.