Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:56:22 +0100
From:      John Toon <j.a.toon@btinternet.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape/Linux on FreeBSD an other horrors ...

"O. Hartmann" wrote:

> PLease, if there is someone out here who knows whether OPERA is avaialable for FBSD as SOURCE
> code for complete recompilation or another stable, well runnig webbrowser, please tell us ...
>
> Thanks a lot ...
>
> Gruss O. Hartmann

Opera is not available for FreeBSD - but the Linux binary works
perfectly. Make sure you have the Linux compatibility libs installed,
then install the *Linux* version of the QT 2.1.x libs (e.g. libqt.so.2
under /compat/linux/usr/lib), then you should be able to run the Opera
binary fine. I have rpm set up on my FreeBSD box, so I simply do:

rpm -i --ignoreos --ignorearch --root /compat/linux qt-2.1.1.i386.rpm

Mind you, Opera for Linux is still heavily under development, so that
may not be amazingly stable yet either...

Finally, though, Mozilla (i.e. "The" Mozilla project) is starting to
turn into a fantastic browser. It's stability is getting there. You can
get M17 from http://www.mozilla.org .

John.