Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 21:24:04 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        ggeisbert@e-centives.com, mlivingstone@ottawa.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to run process in background?

> > How do i run a process in background except for using "screen" and "&"
> > syntax? when i type "whatever &" and then exit my shell.. it tells me
>that
> > the process is SIGHUPED (hangup, whatever..).. seems like it's running
> > after that ok.. but i don't know how to reattach to it.
> >
> > is there another way? i heard about "fork". but man page doesn't say
>mcuch
>

>nohup command &
>
>// Gary

You can also hit CTRL-Z to put the current process in the background. When
you do this it will tell you the background process number, usually starting
with 1. You can then type "fg (number)" to bring it back or just "fg" if you
only have one background process.
This probably doesn't solve your problem, but it is another way to run a
process in the background. (just an FYI)