Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 1996 15:29:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wangel@wgrobez1.remote.louisville.edu (Gary Roberts)
Cc:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ip Masq.

> I suppose.  All I want to do is use my one ip(136.165.243.183) as a
> 'router' ?  My ethernet card in my unix machine is defined as
> '192.168.1.1' and my 95 box as 192.168.1.2 with a gateway of 192.168.1.1.
> I relize no-one will be able to get to my win95 machine, that's fine, what
> I want to do is, say, I want to use netscape from my 95 machine, or maybe
> even play quake, all while using my freebsd machine w/ my one ip as a
> router.
>
> I got a PPP program called ppp+packetAlias which did ip masquerading, and
> it worked great, I could get my 95 machine out on the net, the only
> problem was no-one could get to either machine.

No one is going to be able to get to the win95 machine, no matter what,
if you proxy connections as locally originating on the BSD machine (ie:
you use a transparnet proxy service of any kind).

No one is going to be able to get the BSD machine unless your provider
establishes a static route for you on your PPP connection.  This is
something you will need to talk to your provider about doing automatically
for PPP hosts.  The route must be transient, by its nature, since a PPP
connection is interruptible.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---