Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:07:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fdescfs updates--coming to a devfs near you!

Danny Braniss wrote:
> In message <200009141843.LAA83370@pike.osd.bsdi.com>you write:
>
> }How about the fact that the printing chapter in the Handbook uses /dev/fd/0
> }in its example of setting up a print filter using ghostscript since gs
> }doesn't read from stdin by default or use '-' for that purpose.  Hmmm??
> }
>
> what about programs that were never meant to read from stdin, since, for
> example they like to seek ..., dvi2ps comes to mind.

Well, then they won't work.  But just because some program won't work with
it but many do doesn't mean we shouldn't remove the functionality.  If you
want to blow your own foot off, the OS's job is to deliver the bullet quickly
and accurately to its destination. :)

--

John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/