Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2017 23:36:26 +0100
From:      Per Hedeland <per@hedeland.org>
To:        murty mvr <murty.ind@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg bootstrap failing

On 2017-02-15 19:12, murty mvr wrote:
> Hi Team, am new to both FreeBSD,and RPI3. am trying to install softwares
> through package manger, but pkg is failing.
>
> Could you pls help me out.
>
> root@rpi3:/usr/home/raspberry # env ABI=freebsd:11:aarch64:64 pkg bootstrap

Per both https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64/rpi3 and
http://www.raspbsd.org/raspberrypi.html, the correct invocation is:

  env ABI=FreeBSD:11:aarch64 pkg bootstrap

I've succesfully done that (and, with the corresponding entry in
/usr/local/etc/pkg.conf, used pkg to install a few packages) on an RPi3
running the image Brad Davis announced here a week ago.

Btw, I would like to send a heartfelt THANK YOU! to Brad and all the
other people putting in a lot of hard work to make FreeBSD a viable OS
for the RPi (and other arm systems, although I currently don't have a
personal interest in those). I tried putting FreeBSD on an RPi1 a couple
of years ago when I got it - I did succeed, but the effort of getting
there and using it was more than I was prepared to spend, and I
reluctantly had to resort to the L-OS.

When I recently started to play around a bit more actively with that and
an RPi3 aquired later, I got increasingly annoyed with L, and decided to
have another look at the FreeBSD support - and it just works! Pre-built
images - and packages, I certainly didn't expect that! The RPi1 is
running 11.0-RELEASE absolutely perfectly, and the RPi3 support seems to
be coming along nicely. I got both up and running with USB wifi with
minimal effort, without ever connecting console and keyboard.

Thanks again!

--Per Hedeland