Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 09:10:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, joelh@gnu.org, sastdr@unx.sas.com
Subject:   Re: Improvemnet of ln(1).

> I will personally buy a beer (so long as it's not an American beer)
> for the first five people who can show me current existance of such a
> script.  (In other words, a script written during or after this
> discussion doesn't count.)  That said, I sincerely doubt I'll have to
> buy a single beer.

 I don't know if this counts - but the source/build management system
 at SAS would break... technically, it's a program that scans the
 output.  The code doesn't employ reasonable return-codes for some
 ungodly reasons, and thus, there are 'scraping scripts' that read
 through several gigs worth out shell/compiler/utility output and
 "decide" if the build was successful.

 Changing the behaviour of ln, as you suggest, would likely break all of that
 'log scraping' code. [Who knows how many questionable 'ln' commands
 are embedded within this spaghetti.]

 Believe me; as I'm the manager of the compiler group; and I am
 expressly prohibited from changing even the smallest typo in a
 compiler message; much less adding a new one  - for fear of such
 a calamity.   The argument is that a broken 'script scraper' costs
 several thousands of developers a couple of days while it's repaired...
 we're talking man-years here of wasted time...  I don't buy it
 myself - but that's the rule I live under.

	- Dave Rivers -