Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:12:43 -0500
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        scott renna <flexble2547@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dlink-g520 Wireless and WEP

On Saturday 23 October 2004 10:10 am, scott renna wrote:
> Error in the mail, my mistake
> inet is there when I run the command
>
> --- "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 22 October 2004 10:21 pm, scott renna
> >
> > wrote:
> > > So,
> > >
> > > Thanks to a fellow list member I got my 5.2.1
> >
> > System
> >
> > > to see my Dlink card.  The trouble now I'm having
> > > involves setting up WEP.  I am currently running
> >
> > WEP
> >
> > > on a Netgear Wireless router 802.11b.  The Dlink
> >
> > does
> >
> > > 802.11b/g. Here's what I'm running into when
> >
> > turning
> >
> > > on WEP.  The router has a 26 character string for
> > > 128-bit WEP that I created via a passphrase.
> >
> > Windows
> >
> > > takes it and works well wirelessly but when I
> > > configure my card, here's wha t happens on BSD:
> > >
> > >  ifconfig ath0 192.168.2.175 netmask 255.255.255.0
> > > ssid SSID_NAME wepmode on wepkey
> > > 0xyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >
> > > ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists
> > >
> > > Assume the first 0x means hex and the rest is the
> >
> > key
> >
> > > name.  Anyone have any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > scotty
> >
> > There should be the term 'inet' between 'ath0' and
> > the IP address:
> >
> > ifconfig ath0 inet 192.168.2.175 netmask
> > 255.255.255.0 .....
> >
> > Is this an error in the email or in the
> > configuration?
> >
> > Andrew Gould

Have you tried:

1. Adding the following to the configuration line:

authmode shared
#(or 'authmode open', depending on how you have your network setup)

2. Check to see if you're also configuring this device in other places
(rc.conf, for example).

3. Try clearing the configuration using 'ifconfig ath0 remove' prior to
configuring the interface.

4. As a troubleshooting step, see if 40 bit encryption works.  Don't
forget to change the access point (or other computer/router) as well.

Good luck,

Andrew Gould