Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 02:31:42 -0800
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1 release sysinstall

>>> Poul-Henning Kamp said:
 > >  > Querying foreign hosts with SNMP is considered bad style, and is very
 > >  > unlikely to yield responses anyway.
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > "bad style" and "foreign hosts" not sure what to make out of that if
 > > the hosts are freebsd hosts or are hosting freebsd. At any rate for sure
 > > we can use snmp to query hosts which are running snmp daemons.
 > ... if we have the owners permission.

Like requesting snmp service from a freebsd box is a big deal.

 > Even if we did query with SNMP, what would you ask for ?
 >
 > I guess that the best thing so far would be to send a single ping
 > to all the servers, order by return TTL and turn-around, and take
 > the best.

Gosh,
Additionally, I would query  for system load and ftp users .
If the snmp variable is not implemented in the kernel then a bit
of minor hacking will fix the problem.

Oh, while on the subject of snmp  it would also be nice to be able to query
such things as  available freebsd  sup and ftp servers.

	Amancio