Date:      Fri, 03 Aug 2001 15:51:46 -0400
From:      Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
To:        Erin Fortenberry <efortenb@sdccd.cc.ca.us>
Cc:        "'Fred Condo'" <fred@condo.chico.ca.us>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail

Erin Fortenberry wrote:

> My goal is for sendmail to not listen to anyports, only on lo0 if needed.
> This machine is a web server and I keep getting people attaching to ports 25
> to try and relay email. I could just block the port, but I would think
> sendmail could be configured to shut off the port itself.

ok, add this line to /etc/rc.conf:

sendmail_enable="NO"

and add this line to roots crontab:

0,30 * * * * /usr/sbin/sendmail -q

this will effectivly disable the sendmail daemon(making port 25
unreachable) and cron will fire up sendmail every 30 minutes to
process the queue.

Daniel Frazier  <dfrazier@magpage.com>   Tel:  302-239-5900 Ext. 231
Systems Administrator                    Fax:  302-239-3909
MAGPAGE, We Power the Internet           WWW:  http://www.magpage.com/

         - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.