Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:48:04 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Doug Lee <dgl@dlee.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should I have to run make readme/index in ports after cvsup's?

On Friday 11 July 2003 06:17 am, Doug Lee wrote:
> /usr/ports/www/README.html went from some 200 lines to over 500 on a
> `make readme' in that directory just now.  I thought `cvsup -g -L 2
> /etc/cvsup_ports' would update the README.html files too.
>
> Should I be running `make readme' and/or `make index' (and/or anything
> else) myself after cvsupdating ports?

The readmes have never been updated by cvsup. In addition, the INDEX and
INDEX-5 files are updated infrequently. If you want to use portupgrade tools
to maintain your ports, which is the easiest and cleanest, you have to
rebuild INDEX[-5] and INDEX.db aftrer each cvsup of portsall. I use a script
to update the ports and have the following commands at the bottom

# Now update the index pages.
cd /usr/ports
make index
portsdb -u

Since I use "make index", I don't refuse anything but "ports/INDEX" so that
the make index doesn't terminate prematurely. This produces and INDEX-5 on a
FreeBSD 5.x system.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart