Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 18:21:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Cliff Skolnick <cliff@steam.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   lockup problem maybe fixed by patch in kern/8416

So I grabed the latest kernel this AM, and installed it without the patch in
PR kern/8416.  Poof! lockup within 8 hours!  I had been running since monday
(3+ days) without a deadlock when that patch was installed as opposed to
locking up 4 times over 3 days.  Needless to say I put the patch back in
now, and I'm hoping that was it...granted this sample set is small.

If other people are having a lockup problem, you might want to use the later
patch in PR kern/8416.  It's the patch to kern_lock.c, it would be
interesting if that helped other people.

Cliff

On Fri, 7 May 1999, David Greenman wrote:

> >My deadlock problems started with a cvsup a little over a week ago, and many
> >others also noted that the problem started in april.  Before that, my 3.1
> >system was rock solid.  It's either a VM problem or a CAM problem by how the
> >system responds to pings for a bit, but no disk acces can be done.  No
> >console messages, the machine is a server and not running X.
> >
> >Perhaps something bad got checked in in April, this weekend I'm going to
> >spend some time looking a what actually changed that month.
> >
> >I'm also a little alarmed about how many people are rationalizing this and
> >attacking the posters of lockup problems.  Many posters have stated that
> >there sysem was stable with 2.2 or an earlier version of 3.1, please don't
> >discount that.  This is -stable, not -advocacy.
> >
> >QUESTION FOR THE GURUS
> >
> >I'd love to get a system snapshot or something while the kernel is still
> >running.  Is there a way to do this once the disk system is out to lunch?
> >Hints?
>
>    Put DDB into your kernel. When the system hangs, enter the debugger with
> ctrl-printsceen. You can then use the 'ps', 'trace', and 'panic' commands.
>
> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
> Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com