Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 1996 11:39:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Craig Huckabee <huck@mispwoso.nosc.mil>
To:        stefan@promo.de (Stefan Bethke), jkh@freebsd.org, se@zpr.uni-koeln.de, dg@root.com, scrappy@ki.net
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ncr53c810 driver in sta

> We have a similiar problem here: Asus SP3G-II (Neptune II chipset), 810, Quantum Fireball, but I'm not sure it is related to the 810 in any way.
>
> It hangs sometimes on reboots, after clearing the screen. However, when it does, it corrupts the BIOS nvram, so I have to re-enter all BIOS settings :-(

  Same problem here:

  I issue a 'reboot' (or a 'shutdown -r') command.
  Disk synchs up.
  Screen goes black.
  Machine is dead.

  When I do a cold boot the BIOS nvram is hosed.

  Machine:
  ASUS PCI/E-P54NP4
  ASUS SC-200 NCR SCSI controller
  (1) MAXTOR MXT-540SL hard drive
  (2) HITACHI DK517C-37 hard drives

  My answers to the questions :

> > 1) does the system complete the final sync ?

	Yes.

> > 2) does it clear the screen in preparation of a warm boot ?

	Yes, screen goes black.

> > 3) does it require a power-off or can it be made to boot
> >    by some other means (Ctl-Alt-Del) ?

	A cold boot or a reset works.

> > 4) does it always hang ?

	Yes.

> > 5) do you know that the hang is not caused by some unrelated
> >    problem (BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET comes to mind :) ?

	Nope.

	Thanks,
	Craig