Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 19:53:29 -0700
From:      steve@Watt.COM (Steve Watt)
To:        Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPsec painful setup...

On Apr 14,  2:09, Gunther Schadow wrote:
} Steve Watt wrote:
} > I have tried both transport and tunnel mode; it seemed clear to me that
} > transport wouldn't work, but I had to try it anyhow.  I'd dearly love to
} > use the FreeBSD box directly as the NAT box, but it's a DSL installation
} > where the DSL line comes into a port on the router.  Unless there are
} > PCI DSL cards that are likely to work in such a scenario, I think I get
} > to wrestle with this.
}
} You have too many free variables in your equation :-) I would start
} with two FreeBSD boxes on each end of the line and try to set up a
} statically keyed IPsec tunnel. I don't trust racoon just yet, it
} didn't work for me reliably so far. And of course I don't trust the
} "other IPsec capable" router. Go step by step. If NAT is a problem
} in the DSL box, turn NAT off and use it straight through as a bridge,
} if that's possible...

Actually, I've already got a setup working, with racoon, gif, and
the non FreeBSD IPsec implementation, and it's fine roughly 80%
of the time.  The rest of the time, rebooting the non FreeBSD box
(it's a Netscreen router) makes things work again.

Unfortunately, I am trying to duplicate the configuration onto the
above-mentioned ugly setup, so the only variable I'm adding is a
NAT thingy in the way.

} > You said "old gif tunnel method"; that implies that there's some new
} > method?  Where can I find info on that?  I'm currently using gif tunnels,
} > racoon for isakmp, and ipsec in tunnel mode.
}
} See my recent bug report on freebsd-net. On how to set this up. You can
} use the first half of the bug report as a cookbook recipe. if you
} don't try the second half, you'll be fine :-).

Thanks!  I'll take a peek at that.

--
Steve Watt KD6GGD  PP-ASEL-IA          ICBM: 121W 56' 57.8" / 37N 20' 14.9"
 Internet: steve @ Watt.COM                         Whois: SW32