Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 12:42:11 -0400
From:      Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP nerd toy report

After reading about the hacks to make Celerons do SMP, I decided to
give cheap SMP a try for no real good reason except that I wanted to.

I bought:
DFI P2XBL/D dual Slot 1 motherboard ($192)
2 Celeron 300A socket 370 processors ($65 each)
2 prewired-for-SMP socket 370 to Slot 1 converters (you don't want to
see me with a soldering iron) ($22 each)
Case, keyboard, 64MB of memory.  ($140 total)

I had an ethernet card and a disk lying around and I am using a serial
console, so for about $500 (plus shipping) I have myself a very fast
system.

I have been very pleased with it so far.  I installed 3.1-RELEASE for
now.  At 300MHz (66MHz FSB), my worldstone (CFLAGS="-O -pipe",
make -j8 buildworld, softupdates, /usr/src & /usr/obj on the same
partition of a Maxtor IDE disk) is about 1:15.

At 450MHz (100MHz FSB) "make -j8 buildworld" takes about 0:55.  (I
know, bad hacker.  I promise not to submit any PRs unless they can be
duplicated at 300MHz.)  I expect that if I got a second disk for
/usr/obj that the build would really fly.

All in all, I'm a happy nerd.

One random question:  has anyone ever seen a BIOS that works over a
serial line?  I'm perfectly happy with a serial console except that I
have to drag the system within reach of a monitor if I want to change
something in the BIOS.  Plus I have to waste a slot for a video card
unless I also want to install that everytime I want to poke around in
the BIOS.

andrew