Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:28:51 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@ics.es.osaka-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum is always started at boot-time...

On Monday, 18 January 1999 at 15:15:09 +0900, Makoto MATSUSHITA wrote:

> matusita> It works fine, however, sorry I have only ONE volume so how
> matusita> it goes if two or more volumes are defined (note that 'vinum
> matusita> read' takes only one argument).
>
> And, this code causes *duplicate* vinum information, if we do shutdown
> to single-user mode and then try to come back to the multi-user world
> (this causes to rerun /etc/rc, rerun 'vinum read' command, and dup them).

There is a bug in the current version of Vinum which would allow this,
but it's been fixed in the new megacommit I'm preparing.  For example:

Jan 18 15:36:36 panic /kernel: vinum: reading configuration from /dev/sd4h
Jan 18 15:36:37 panic /kernel: vinum: updating configuration from /dev/sd3h
Jan 18 15:36:38 panic /kernel: vinum: updating configuration from /dev/sd2h
Jan 18 15:36:39 panic /kernel: vinum: updating configuration from /dev/sd1h
Jan 18 15:38:35 panic /kernel: vinum: already read config from drive1
Jan 18 15:38:35 panic /kernel: vinum: already read config from drive2
Jan 18 15:38:35 panic /kernel: vinum: already read config from drive3
Jan 18 15:38:35 panic /kernel: vinum: already read config from drive4

Don't worry about the panic; that's the name of the system :-)

You'll also notice that the order of reading is not the order in which
the names are specified; Vinum starts with the newest config and works
back.

> Somebody may say that's bad...

If you've tripped over the bug, `bad' is an understatement.  It can
completely tear your config apart.

Greg