Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:45:23 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: top takes excessively long time to start on RC1....

Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com> types:
> I've run in to a rather disturbing problem.
>
> When running a fresh install of 4.4RC1 (not an upgrade), I try to run top. It
> takes approximately 1 minute, 29 seconds to begin to display data.

FWIW, I've got a fresh install from the 4.4RC1 ISO. top displays the
initial process list instantly, and starts displaying and updating
system information in ~2 seconds.

> systat -vmstat takes ~2 seconds to start (not bad).

More like ~4 here.

> The machine is a pretty typical P3 with an Intel card, 3 IDE disks and 2
> SCSI disks.

Mine's a K6 on a VIA chipset, with 2 IDE disks and 2 IDE CDROMS, but
only one of the disks is actually used.

> With multiple windows open, it appears that starting top isn't bogging
> the system down (it stays mostly idle). There are no more/less interrupts,
> top and systat don't show anything becoming a CPU hog, no drop in memory, etc.

I don't have X installed on the machine. You might try testing things
from a console.

> In looking at the top display, it appears (when running two) that one is in
> the RUN state, and the other in the select state. This may be a clue.

Mine does the same. When top collects the process information to
display, it's running, hence it's going to be in the RUN state. When
it's not updating, it's sitting waiting for a command or the timer to
run out - which is what select is used for. So that seems natural as
well.

	<mike