Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 18:08:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Routing/NAT Problem after Upgrade to 4.1

I recently upgraded to version 4.1-RELEASE from version 3.5-STABLE.
The upgraded machine is used primarly as a nat server for a small
network.  After upgrading, I have been unable to route to the internet from my
internal machines.  The natd daemon is loaded, but something does not appear
to be work correctly and I am too stupid to get natd to produce any decent
logging information.

I have two network cards, xl0 that connects to a DSL modem and fxp0 that
connects to the internal network.  From the internal network, I can ping
ip addresses on both network cards.  However, I cannot ping any addresses
beyond those on the external network card.

I admit to being really puzzled.  I have ipforwarding enabled in rc.conf, and
my rc.conf file is identical to the one used with the 3.5-STABLE
configuration:

# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
# please make all changes to this file.

# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
ntpdate_flags="ns1.barrnet.net ns.scruz.net"
#internal network card
ifconfig_fxp0="inet w.x.y.z  netmask 255.0.0.0 up"
#external network card
ifconfig_xl0="inet a.b.c.d1  netmask 255.255.255.248"
ifconfig_xl0_alias0="inet a.b.c.d2  netmask 255.255.255.255"
ifconfig_xl0_alias1="inet a.b.c.d3  netmask 255.255.255.255"
ifconfig_xl0_alias2="inet a.b.c.d4  netmask 255.255.255.255"
defaultrouter="a.b.c.d5"
gateway_enable="YES"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"
moused_enable="YES"
saver="logo"
blanktime="1200"
ntpdate_enable="YES"
network_interfaces="fxp0 xl0 lo0"
tcp_extensions="YES"
hostname="ns1.tetronsoftware.com"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/rc.tetronfw"
sendmail_enabled="YES"
sendmail_flags="-bd -q30m"
portmap_enable="NO"
#portmap_flags=""
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="xl0"
natd_flags="-m"
linux_enable="YES"
lpd_enable="YES"
log_in_vain="YES"
tcp_drop_synfin="YES"
icmp_drop_redirects="YES"
inetd_flags="-w -W"
named_enable="YES"
named_flags="-u bind -g bind"
xntpd_enable="YES"

The output from netstat -r appears to be identical after the upgrade to
4.1-RELEASE.  I can access the internet and all internal hosts from the
FreeBSD machine.  I can ping all of the alias address on xl0 from the internal
network, however, I cannot ping the defaultrouter address.  The FreeBSD
machine can ping the defaultrouter address.

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Gene Harris

         Tetron Software, LLC
    http://www.tetronsoftware.com
FreeBSD  Apache  PostgreSQL  Oracle 8/8i
Windows 95/98/NT  Visual C  Visual Basic