Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 19:55:32 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        David Loszewski <stealth215@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ^M on end of lines

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 03:54:31PM -0500, David Loszewski wrote:
> This happens with a .tar.gz file that I just downloaded and was also
> happening with files that I ftp'd over to my FreeBSD system from my
> RedHat Linux system

If I use an MSDOS and/or Windows program to edit some text file, and
then archive it in a TAR archive, compress the file with GNU gzip, and
mail it to you, then you should download the `.tar.gz' file as binary,
otherwise loss of data will occur.

The files included *in* the archive though as treated as binary files
by tar and gzip, so when you extract something that has been created
with the DOS format of newline (both ^M and ^J characters used), then
extracting it will get you exactly the same format.

Nothing strange here :)