Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:06:10 -0700
From:      jeffw@mxim.com (Jeff Williams)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Partitioning for mulitple OS using FreeBSD 3.2 Partitioning tool.

Um, I have a controller and hard drive such that:  it can't run in LBA
mode under DOS because of some incompatibility between the controller (promise
technology eide2300+ on a VLB motherboard.  It's a seagate 8420A 8.4 Gig
hard drive.  I want to run '95, FreeBSD, and Linux (Linux eventually, but
for now I want '95 and FreeBSD up and running).  Since I'm limited to
504 MB , and learned that I must put the FreeBSD kernel in the that first block., which I did successfully, I wanted to create just one more itty bitty partitiion for DOS, which I did using the FreeBSD partitioning utility.  However,
once I created a new, extended partition for DOS, the DOS version of fdisk
stopped working.  From the hard drive it had a "disk hardware error" or something like that.  From a floppy, it merely branched, then hung.   So, the
million dollar question is:  If I want two partitions for DOS (one primary,
one secondary, and have to limit my primary (and secondary? That's not clear
yet) partition to 504 MB (which is o.k. in my case), and want a freebsd
partion and a linux one, what's the best way to proceed?  Which partitioning
tool do I use?  WHich must I use?  Where is the doggone table showing the
codes for the partition types? (I used the old random keystroke method and
found that way that the number for an extended Dos partition is 5.  !!!$$*$*$).

Thanks for your time, to whom it may concern.

Jeff Williams

jeffw@mxim.com