Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 02:27:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Dan Langille <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using IPFW as a firewall

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Dan Langille wrote:

> three rules within /etc/rc.firewall must be commented out in order for
> some stuff to work.  Can anyone educate me as to why these rules
> prevent ping, news, mail, etc from running on machines on my home
> network?  Those section of rc.firewall appear below.

What's your local topology?

> ---
> # Stop RFC1918 nets on the outside interface
> $fwcmd add deny all from 192.168.0.0:255.255.0.0 to any via ${oif}

oif is the outside interface.. 192.168 addresses should never be seen
there.

> # Allow TCP through if setup succeeded
> $fwcmd add pass tcp from any to any established

Allow tcp packets going in any direction if they are not startup packets.B

> # Allow setup of any other TCP connection
> $fwcmd add pass tcp from any to any setup

I see it's supposed to be after a rule that blocks incoming setup packets.

this rule accepts, I cant see how removing it helps anything..

> ---
>
> I'm also running natd.  Where's the best place to put the rules pertaining
> to natd?  e.g.  add divert natd all from any to any via ed0
> I can't put them in rc.firewall as natd doesn't seem to be active at that
> time.

doesn't matter.. if natd isn't running they effectively become 'drop'
rules until it starts up.

julian