Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 1996 22:50:28 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        core@freebsd.org
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   out of kernel VM

   Well, it's finally happend. Walnut Creek/Jack Velte just gave me the
approval to purchase another 256MB of RAM for wcarchive. This presents an
interesting new problem, however: we hadn't planned to scale quite this
far in FreeBSD when we set the size of the kernel VM. It is currently
252MB and must be increased to 508MB in order to accomodate the increased
sizes of various kernel data structures.
   I've had a general policy of making FreeBSD work "out of the box" (more
or less - "some assembly required") for people wanting to do a "wcarchive",
and, well, this means that I need to bring the changes necessary to increase
the kernel VM into our CVS tree. It's no big deal with -current since our
users expect a few bumps when using it...but I want to make this change in
-stable, too. The only problem I can see at the moment (and I'm running a
-stable kernel with the necessary changes as I type this message) is that
after the change is made, people must rebuild/install libkvm and 'ps'.
We've already decided to give up some compatibility with the recent commit
of the setproctitle() changes, so perhaps I'm making more out of this than
is warranted.

   So what do ya' think? Should I go ahead with the changes for -stable?
Without them, FreeBSD may not work properly with 512MB of main memory.

-DG

David Greenman