Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 00:20:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@RWSystems.net>
To:        rcramer@sytex.net
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcpdump inclusion in GENERIC

Someone wrote:
> OK, time to raise this topic again.  What to people think about
> enabling bpfilter by default in GENERIC?

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Richard Cramer answered:
> 	I vote YES.  Greater then 50% of rebuilding the kernel is to
>         include bpfilter.

Wow! I'd really like to know where *that* number came from. I could have
sworn it was 42.8% with another 44.3% going to turning-on divert for natd
usage. 8{) I like the idea of making a kernel work without rebuild for
most folks. What do other folks usually need to rebuild a kernel for?
(besides server tuning stuff like MAX_USERS, etc...)

FWIW: I'm for turning them both on, but 2 bpfs to save memory rather than
LINT's 4. You don't really take the CPU hit until you open them, anyway...