Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:49:33 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making suggestions

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:14:32PM -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> If PR's are OK for suggestions, I'd have to guess that freebsd-bugs
> would be too, since that's that place of last resort for those not
> willing to write PRs.  But I wouldn't try discussing the suggestion
> on freebsd-bugs; I'd take that to a subject-appropriate site, though
> that's not always clearly obvious, and I'm still not sure what would
> be appropriate for non-technical-list-covered enhancements; the charters
> of -chat, -hackers, -current, -questions all seem to exclude it.

That is the problem.
If you find a bug, or have an enhancement, have ported something etc...
then it is all fairly obvious what to do.

However, consider the following (and this is not meant to start a debate
about this on this list, I use this for illustrative purposes).

There have been recent rumblings about missing KDE components on the
ISO's. It't been discussed, and said a few times that there is only so
much room on a CD.
So I get to think, what is on the CD, looking at /usr/bin I see several
things that by no stretch of the imagination could be described as
essential. The example I gave is F77. Now if I want to suggest that a
re-examination be made of what constitutes the base distribution, and to
turf off out fripperies like F77 to whom do I suggest it ? In fact if I
suggest that the time has come for a lot of things that are in /usr/bin
to start justifying their existance who is going to listen to me ?

As Gary points out above there seems to be no forum for this.

To *repeat* this is not meant to start a discussion on F77... :)

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>