Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:53:11 -0000
From:      "David Hedley" <david@inty.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem with Realtek card + Skip

I have been trying to get the SKIP package working properly with a Realtek
8139 based ethernet card (the 'rl' device) and FreeBSD 3.x and 4.x, but have
run into trouble. The problem is that every encrypted packet transmitted is
truncated - tcpdump shows something like the following:

11:15:12.895052  truncated-ip - 120 bytes missing! 213.38.150.1 >
194.73.188.40: ip-proto-57 184 (ttl 255, id 54)

If I use an Intel Etherexpress 10/100 card (fxp device), everything works
fine.

On examining the Realtek driver if_rl.c, the reason would appear to be
because it only takes the first mbuf from the chain and ignores the rest
when constructing the frame to transmit, while the fxp and other drivers
appear to deal with mbuf fragments correctly.

Is this the correct diagnosis or am I way off track?

Is there any solution to this problem? (other than not using a Realtek card
for this purpose)

Regards,

David
--
Dr David Hedley, Head of Development
Intelligent Network Technology Ltd, Bristol, UK

This email has been virus scanned using Sophos Anti-Virus by intY (www.inty.net)