Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 05:27:33 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: multi-level categories

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> This seems to be easy enough using Richard's suggestion of 'ar'
> archives for the patches.
>
> Something arb like:
[ ... excellent code omitted ...]

> The 'ar' archives I generated were plain-text, and we just need
> some tools to convert from old-style to new-style automatically
> for the people who work on the ports.

This should be made an automatic part of the process. Depending on how the
archiving process is used, it is no more than an extra line in the commit
script.

rm patches.ar ; ar -cr .patches/patch-*

Note than it is important to rebuild the archive in the same order so that
"diffs" in the repository are kept to a minimum.

Rather than treating only the patches this way, I would apply the approach to
the entire port, using the tree structure while building, but keeping only the
archive the rest of the time.

Either way, the archiving/dearchiving becomes just a wrapper around the
checkin/checkout process.

--
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@Dataplex.NET