Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2014 03:42:50 -0500
From:      Andrew Berg <aberg010@my.hennepintech.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   freebsd-update won't update userland

I just upgraded from 10.0-RELEASE to 10.1-BETA2, and after rebooting into the
new kernel, I accidentally ran 'freebsd-update fetch install', which seems to
have put freebsd-update into a state where it thinks that I am completely
updated (because it only checks the kernel and there are no security updates
available for 10.1-BETA2).

# freebsd-version -ku
10.1-BETA2
10.0-RELEASE-p9
# freebsd-update install
No updates are available to install.
Run '/usr/sbin/freebsd-update fetch' first.
# ls -l /var/db/freebsd-update/files | wc -l
   80930

The timestamps on the freebsd-update files are from when I went through the
initial update process. Is it possible to get freebsd-update to see that it
didn't complete the update or must I build world and resolve the configuration
file conflicts again?