Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 1995 13:33:55 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: /host/freefall/a/ncvs/ports/lang/forth Makefile

 * NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

 * Are you crazy guys? This change implies that PREFIX can't be set to
 * anything different from /usr/local.  In this case it is even better to
 * remove all references to PREFIX and replace them with /usr/local :-(

No it's not.  All this means that if somebody is going to change
PREFIX, she just needs to populate it first with empty directories.
We are assuming that a person who has such a strong preference on
directory structures knows what she's doing enough to do it herself.

Let's face it, the way the ports Makefiles are right now it's
downright ugly, with all sorts of mkdir's scattered all over the
place.  And it's not consistent, not even half the Makefiles have
the necessary mkdir calls.  This is confusing at best.

Unless someone is going to fix all the existing Makefiles to create
all the necessary directories, with all the CORRECT PERMISSIONS AND
OWNERSHIPS, we can never go the other way.  And I don't think it's
worth it, 'cause these directories need to be created only once
anyway.  Right now, we are just putting unduly burden on the porters.

Satoshi "see, I told you I'm a tyrant :)" Asami