Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:53:04 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <csxbcs@comp.leeds.ac.uk>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@FreeBSD.org>, Alexey Zelkin <phantom@cris.net>, Mike Pritchard <mpp@FreeBSD.org>, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: trailing dot in .Nd

Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> There are 26 -CURRENT manpages (in mdoc(7) format) in the base system
> that have a trailing dot (`.') after the .Nd macro.  In your opinion,
> should I remove these (dots)?
>
> gnu/lib/libdialog/dialog.3:.Nd provide a simple ncurses-based GUI interface.

No objections from me, and it would certainmly make things more consistent.
We should also be consistent about not starting with a capital letter...

> lib/libc/sys/jail.2:.Nd Imprison current process and future decendants.
> lib/libcalendar/calendar.3:.Nd Calendar arithmetic for the Christian era.
> share/man/man9/DELAY.9:.Nd Busy loop for an interval.
> share/man/man9/bios.9:.Nd Interact with PC BIOS.

They should be lowercase, IMO.

I'm tempted also to change things like ".Nm Foo" to just ".Nm" at the
start of sentences, when the name really is "foo".  IMO even at the
start of a sentence we shouldn't capitalize things wrong.  There's a lot
more of these to change though, so there may be stronger objections.  I
don't feel that strongly about it, it just seems "wrong" to capitalize
things wrong.

--
Ben Smithurst / csxbcs@comp.leeds.ac.uk / ben@FreeBSD.org