Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 2008 19:35:39 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn@freenet.de>
To:        "drake3 meredith" <drake3@pmeredith.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help with headless Sparc box - cannot get X and vnc running...

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:39:47 -0400
"drake3 meredith" <drake3@pmeredith.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to FreeBSD and could use some help.
> I installed 7.0 on a Sun Netra T1 AC200 headless server.  Installed through
> serial terminal and got networking up.  Installed X.org distribution and
> realvnc package.  When I run vncserver I get some errors in the vnc log file
> and see nothing but a black screen when I connect to the session on the
> sparc.
>
> Contents of the log file:
>
> Xvnc Free Edition 4.1.2 - built Aug  6 2008 06:38:59
> Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
> See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
> Underlying X server release 40300000, The XFree86 Project, Inc
>

> Thu Aug  7 14:01:46 2008
>  vncext:      VNC extension running!
>  vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on port 5901
>  vncext:      Listening for HTTP connections on port 5801
>  vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0
> Could not init font path element /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing
> from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing
> from list!
> Xlib: connection to ":1.0" invalid setup
> xsetroot:  unable to open display ':1'
> Xlib: connection to ":1.0" invalid setup
> twm:  unable to open display ":1"
> Xlib: connection to ":1.0" invalid setup
> vncconfig: unable to open display ":1"
> Xlib: connection to ":1.0" invalid setup
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :1
>
> [end file]
>
> I have deinstalled the xorg-server package and reinstalled, but same
> result.  I had to configure the xorg.conf file using "xorgconfig" because
> the other method did not work since it is a headless unit - no display found
> - could not use the console driver.
>
> I have searched X.org and mailing list archives for "invalid setup" message,
> but cannot find anything.

What's in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log?  Is there even a graphics card in
this thing?

Seems like vnc needs an X-capable box for it to work, since it appears
to run like Xnest does as a client of the real X server.  This comment
is based on a cursory review of the documentation on the web site,
which isn't exactly overwhelmingly detailed.

---
Gary Jennejohn