Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 18:46:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Dale Woolridge <dale-list-freebsd-smp-2@woolridge.org>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Over heating of the ABit BP6 motherboard

:The voltage spikes are the kicker, aren't they?  In my research for the
:dead Apple Airport problem (caps swelling up), somebody reported that the
:spikes he was seeing were way above the nominal rating of the capacitor.
:Although the input is 12V, and the caps were rated at 16V, he ended up using
:25V caps because of the spikes.  I did the same on mine.
:
:I suspect I have the same problem on my 8 port switches at home.  Two of
:the three have now had an exploded electrolytic capacitor and subsequently
:shorted out the external power wall transformer and killed it.  Collecting
:up the bits of the capacitor and replacing it solved the problem, but
:I'm not sure if I want to keep losing the power supplies.
:
:Cheers,
:-Peter
:--
:Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com
:"All of this is for nothing if we don't go to the stars" - JMS/B5

    It's most likely that the capacitors are simply being made from
    substandard materials with higher internal resistances.  Sometimes you
    can get around that by specifying HF (high frequency) caps.  Voltage
    spikes above the capacitor's rating (or even just near the capacitor's
    rating) tend to blow holes in the gap material, greatly reducing their
    life span, but won't necessarily make them melt down.  e.g. a capacitor
    spec'd at the voltage it runs at might last 20 years.  A capacitor
    spec'd at twice the voltage it runs at might last 40 years.  Anything
    that blows out in less then 10 years is more likely to be
    workmanship/materials problem (unless it is consistently overvoltaged).
    The electrolyte dries out too quickly and/or inherently high internal
    resistances cause overheating in high frequency applications (such as
    switching power supplies).  The manufacturer might have put in non-HF
    caps when he should have put in HF caps, etc.  The sad thing is that
    most brick makers don't care.  If the brick lasts 5 years they are
    happy campers.

    This is why a 20 year old T.V. might still work while a 10 year old
    computer might not.  My old Amiga still works but I've had plenty of
    computers bought since then fail for all sorts of reasons.  Substandard
    materials.  Ah well.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>