Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 2002 11:55:03 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        injoin@injoin.cjb.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating from 4.1.1 to 4.6.2

injoin wrote:

> I'm going to update my system from release 4.1.1 to release 4.6.2.

Something may bite you going that far but if you follow
/usr/src/UPDATING you will have a better chance than if you don't.
With 4.1.1, you have made it past the /binutils upgrade and there has
been at least one upgrade talked about for RELENG_4_6. I don't follow
releases and I think you will be better off following something that
has corrections such as RELENG_4_6.

> Expect for the user home directorys, what I should backup?

/etc because you want a copy of your current configuration.

> Shoud I modify my original kernel config file?

It has changed with time. I think you should do a new one. A lot of
the network cards now depend on miibus. You have to pay attention to
the needs. For example, USB's umass depends on scbus and da. You have
to pay attention. There must be at least a message day from people
that didn't pay attention.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart