Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 21:49:16 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD DSL setup questions

[Copy of off-list response for archive purposes...]

>I see with my CenturyTel DSL setup in Windows, they are using the
>PPPoE protocol.  Does that mean I must configure FreeBSD in this
>manner?

Yes, I think you have to use User-ppp (see 'man 8 ppp') for PPPoE support.

>In step 6 (netstat -rn) should I see an assigned gateway when using DHCP?
>Are there any other diagnostics I could run, besides ping, to see discover
>the problem?

Boy, it's been awhile since I had a DHCP address...I'm not really sure, but
I *think* it should automagically get set by dhclient when it gets a DHCP
lease...

But, since you have PPPoE, User-PPP will handle this for you. While I
haven't used ppp in PPPoE mode, I have used it for a regular modem, so you
may find the Sheet on PPP
(http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/sheet.cgi?ppp) somewhat helpful, at
least for setting up firewall rules (Use the filter capabilities of ppp for
firewalling, rather than ipfw or ipfilter).

Also, when DSL lines started to become really popular about a year ago,
there was a lot of chatter on the mailing lists about PPPoE. So be sure to
check out the FreeBSD mailing list archives too. (Start here:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/search.cgi?words=PPPoE&max=100&sort=score&index=r
ecent&source=freebsd-questions)

Hope this gets you on the right track...

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor
On Matters of Most Grave Concern