Date:      Sun, 11 May 1997 23:19:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        perhaps@yes.no, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Regression tests (was Re: A 3.0-current SNAP building machine has been found!)

> > > I was actually against using "voting"; I prefer forcing developers to
> > > verify that compiles work and the resulting code does not trivially
> > > fail prior to it being committed.  That way the tree would always work;
> > > the best you can get out of "voting" is "provided with high confidence
> > > that it might work".
> >
> > Regression tests.  We really should have this integrated into the
> > build system.
>
> This is scary, in that it starts requiring developers to have "big iron".
>
> The POSIX tests (for example) take a while to run.

I don't believe everybody should run the full regression tests each
time.  Full regression tests are expensive.  However, if you e.g. do a
modification in dump/restore, one can run the regression tests for
dump/restore.  You'd be much more certain of not having broken
anything than you are today; a full 'make regress' could be done on
need (whenever something seems to break, or if you believe there is a
chance you've broken something else.)

We've already got a limited form of this - 'make world' - but
explicitly supporting regression would likely make it better.

> > Anyway; being able to do a 'make regress' on the entire FreeBSD
> > source tree and know all new code and a lot of old code got tested
> > would be a _good_ feeling.
>
> Yes, very much so!  I would limit its application, though; if the
> CVS went "split tree with snapshot", then the process could be
> automated, but it's probably too much overhead otherwise.  8-(.

You're thinking of disk space requirements?  I wouldn't worry too much.
The regression suite take time to write, and I consider it unlikely
that it will grow faster than price of disk space drop :-)

For large test files, we could solve part of the problem by making
them available through ftp, with an automated download system a la
ports.

However, as I said, I don't believe I've got The Solution to the
problem; I just feel that a good solution to this would be a very nice
addition to the build structure.

Eivind.