Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 23:38:06 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <jacks@sage-american.com>, "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FUD on small ISP's, was RE: this spam

Jack, this is old baloney FUD and I hate to waste the time to debunk it again
but here goes.

It's a myth that an ISP is financially unsound because it's small.  ISP's are
financially sound or unsound as a result of dumb-ass business decisions they
make.

This year in particular we have seen Northpoint, Rhythms, Covad, PSInet, and
@Home all go bankrupt.  These were giant, rich ISPs, not small ones.  We
have also seen -enormous- acquisition activity as ISP's attempt to put each
other
out of business by buying each other.  Then the merged ISP is itself
purchased, and
the purchaser is then itself purchased, and on and on.  And I didn't even
mention
all the ISP's that aren't bankrupt yet but declared losses.

There's some fundamental truths to running ISP's that the ISP community has
finally begun to understand.  The first and most important is that the larger
the ISP, the more alike all it's customers must be.  People wonder why AOL is
doing so good - well it's because they focus on ONE customer type; the
bonehead
user that's never touched a modem and needs extensive hand-holding.  You can't
run
servers on AOL, you cannot run multiple machines on AOL, they happily scrape
you off their plate if you want to go DSL (with a lame-assed "network access
only" accout) and once the AOL users get sophisticated they can't stand the
AOL bullcrap and quit the service.  But, AOL frankly couldn't give a damn
because once the user has graduated from play-pen ISP to a real ISP, they
don't fit AOL's model anymore and thus are unprofitable to keep around.

Imagine users in a giant bell curve.  The X-axis is level of sophistication,
the Y axis is size of the market.  The big national ISP's all focus smack-dab
on the center of the bell curve.  They don't want users that are completely
green because those users consume too much tech support time, and they don't
want users that are extremely sophisticated because those users are either
bandwidth hogs, or they want the ISP to do things (like assigning them static
IP numbers) that fly in the face of the automatic systems that the big ISP's
have set up.  They want all users to have the same 2.5 e-mail boxes and use
the same 50.75 hours per month of modem time.  In short, as long as the user
is just like every other user on the service, they will service it, the second
that the user deviates from the master plan, it becomes a liability and is
convinced to leave.

But, those users that are at the ends of the curve, well they have needs and
money too.  They are people like you that want to run mailservers at home,
they are
businesses that have wanky networks that need tech support on occassionally,
they are the weird, the misfits, the troublemakers, the people that demand to
call the ISP and get a tech support person that knows their head from their
ass.

The smaller ISP's specialize in this market and do it very well.  TO say as
you
do that the larger ISP's would be willing to lower prices to attempt to
include this market is nothing more than the random musings of someone who
knows very, very little about how real ISP's operate and market.  The larger
ISP's are not interested in the least in this market, it's absurd to think
that they would make a single modification to their networks to accomodate any
of these users in it.  The idea that they would lower prices for it is
hashish-induced dreams, and to think that users at the ends of the bell curve
would be interested in those large cookie-cutter networks that have nothing in
common with what they want done is a joke.

Something gives me a feeling that your spouting all this because you
unconsciously
yearn for the good old days on the Internet when Mommy and Daddy US Government
was
underwriting all of it and all the kiddies were playing at the universities
for free.  You seem to be saying that the natural course of the Internet is
for ISP's to continue to compete with each other and cut their prices
repeatedly until nobody is charging anything for anything.  Well, this ain't
gonna happen.  The ISP's that all thought like this and dropped their prices
last year are now all bankrupt and the ones that refused to do it are still
alive and profitable.  The few ISP's like AT&T that thought the Internet was
some sort of super-television and that charged subrate prices on the idea that
it would increase their market share, thinking that advertiser dollars would
cover the rest, are tired of losing money and are scraping off the
freeloaders.

Sorry, but the party is over.  ISP's today are out there working with real
customers for their money, they aren't speculating on Adam Smith economics
theories.