Date:      24 Dec 2004 11:33:53 +0100
From:      peter@bgnett.no (Peter N. M. Hansteen)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        comm/JT <comm@rwx.ca>
Subject:   Re: Using Exim with FBSD 5.3

"comm/JT" <comm@rwx.ca> writes:

> Just a quick question, I was wondering if anyone had some documentation to
> fully move from sendmail to exim on a 5.3 machine. I have tried this and
> seemed to have failed, just wondering if I am using an old and outdated
> document.

In my experience, it should be pretty straightforward. There are a
couple of things which are not done automagically by the port, IIRC -

* adding the lines

  exim_enable="YES"
  sendmail_enable="NONE"

  to /etc/rc.conf

* editing /etc/mail/mailer.conf to read something like

  sendmail          /usr/local/sbin/exim
  send-mail         /usr/local/sbin/exim
  mailq             /usr/local/sbin/exim -bp
  newaliases        /usr/bin/true
  hoststat        /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
  purgestat       /usr/local/sbin/sendmail

* killing the sendmail daemon and starting exim (use
  /usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim.sh start to start exim)

There may be a few other things you need to do, but the port tends to
remind you of such things along the way. Running the install from a
script(1) session is useful too, just in case useful messages scroll off
the top of the screen too quickly. The port also supplies nice and
straightforward instructions to add spam and virus filtering to the
delivery process. Nice for those of us serving Microsoft desktops.