Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 01:01:02 +0200
From:      petzi@zit.th-darmstadt.de (Michael Beckmann)
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INN history file and disk I/O

Hello,

>You didn't mention if you have MMAP turned on anywhere (we don't), or
>running any non standard stuff like shared active, nntplink, etc.

Thanks for the hints. No, I'm not running anything non standard, this is
still a vanilla setup. I want to run nntplink / innfeed / whatever for my
downstream fullfeeds, but as of yet, I'm using nntpsend.

INN is compiled with MMAP turned off in config.data :

##  6.  MISCELLANEOUS CONFIG DATA
##  Use read/write to update the active file, or mmap?  Pick READ or MMAP.
#### =()<ACT_STYLE              @<ACT_STYLE>@>()=
ACT_STYLE               READ

Don't know if this should be on for FreeBSD, I will give it a try. The INN
FAQ says:

"FreeBSD users shouldn't use mmap(). There are serious problems and the
performance without is quite good."

but I assume that was meant for some old version of FreeBSD.

>Last resort might be to back off of SNAP.  2.1.5R Release kernel works fine
>with an acceptable reader startup delay.

Yes, that would be a last resort. I have now reniced innd to -16, but it
didn't help too much. If I don't find a solution until Monday, I will
actually go back to 2.1.5-RELEASE (sigh). If I knew for sure that THAT
helped, I would do it immediately.

Michael