Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2002 16:04:03 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, webmaster@forsetti.com
Subject:   Re: Using MFS for the first time

Matt Smith <webmaster@forsetti.com> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > [...]
 > > /dev/null  /tmp  mfs  rw,nosuid,nodev,-s=204800,-m=0,-T=minimum  0  0
 >
 > What is the /dev/null component in the MFS line below?  I have seen the
 > swap slice used, but never /dev/null.  For that matter, I don't even
 > really know what that component does -- why do I need to list a device
 > for a RAM disk?  Could someone fill in my knowledge gap?

The device column isn't really used for anything when
mounting an MFS, _except_ that the mount_mfs command uses
the disklabel of that device to initialize some filesystem
configuration parameters.  It is customary to use the swap
partition, but you don't have to.  In certain situations
you cannot specify a swap partition, because you don't have
one (e.g. when you're running swapless, or when your swap
is accessed via NFS, or when you're using swap files instead
of swap partitions).  Under certain circumstances it is also
nice to be able to specify the MFS line independent of the
actual disk hardware (SCSI, APATI) and where the FreeBSD
slice and the swap partition are located.

Therefore you can use the -T option to specify a parameter
set which is used for the initialization of the MFS.  Look
at /etc/disktab for the known parameter sets.  It doesn't
really matter which one you take; the size is irrelevant
(it's specified by the -s option).  "minimum" is one of
them.  If you use the -T option, the device (first column
in fstab) is meaningless, so you can specify /dev/null or
whatever else you like.

I think all of that is explained in the mount_mfs(8) and
disktab(5) manual pages.

Regards
   Oliver